The Newberry Center for Renaissance Studies seeks an early career scholar in Premodern Critical Race Studies to serve as a Public Humanities Postdoctoral Fellow for one year (with the possibility of renewal for a second year pending grant funding) to support Seeing Race Before Race, a multi-year project including an exhibition, public and scholarly programming, a publication, and digital initiatives. Reporting to the Director of the Center for Renaissance Studies, the Fellow will begin in Fall 2022, one year before the exhibition launches in Fall 2023.
- Ensures that all exhibition assets align with prevailing methods of premodern critical race studies.
- Assists in creating and editing exhibition texts;
- Acts as the internal and external communications lead for the project;
- Manages exhibition programming work;
- Develops digital resources;
- Liaises with departments across the Newberry;
- All other duties as assigned to meet departmental and organizational goals.
- PhD in a humanities field related to global studies ca.1100-1800, with expertise in premodern critical race studies preferred (the incumbent’s degree must have been completed within the past five years);
- Preference may be given to candidates whose scholarly work or career has been focused on public history, museums, libraries, and archives
This is a full-time, nonexempt position, working 35 hours per week, with normal hours generally from 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The incumbent will be required to work in person.
The Newberry offers a comprehensive benefits package including a variety of health, dental, and vision insurances; generous paid time off (vacation time, sick leave, personal days, and paid holidays); a 403(B) retirement plan with an employer match; employer-provided basic life insurance; and much more.
THE NEWBERRY LIBRARY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, CV, and the names and contact info of three references in a single PDF document to email@example.com.
Please include “FirstName LastName – Seeing Race Fellow” in the email’s subject line. The PDF document should be titled in the format of lastname_firstname.pdf. Applications sent without a cover letter and CV will not be considered. Please, no phone calls.