The School of Planning (SOP) in the College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning (DAAP) at the University of Cincinnati (UC) invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level focused on teaching, research, and service in Landscape Architecture Program. Appointee will be evaluated for reappointment, promotion, and tenure based on criteria established by the SOP. Candidates from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a 9-month appointment. This position is to commence employment on August 15, 2023.
UC is continually recognized as one of the Most Beautiful College Campuses (Forbes), including designs by internationally renowned landscape architects; Cincinnati is an urban campus with green space to spare. The Cincinnati Metro Region is a rich setting for urban research and teaching. Its inhabitants experience big-city amenities while enjoying a small-town friendliness and collaborative feel that is characteristic of the Midwest.
About The School of Planning
The SOP within DAAP prepares professionals for distinguished practice and spatially-based approaches with a focus on livable places and the creation of communities that enrich people’s lives. The seven academic programs within the SOP (Bachelor in Urban Planning (BUP), Bachelor of Science in Urban Studies (BSUS), Bachelor of Science in Horticulture (BSHS), Master of Community Planning (MCP), Master of Landscape Architecture (MLA), Master of Science in Landscape Architecture (MSLA), and PhD in Regional Development Planning) offer specific coursework about the study, planning, and design of innovative futures for urban communities and regions.
The SOP’s MLA program admitted its first students in the summer of 2017, has achieved Landscape Architecture Accreditation Board (LAAB) Candidacy status, and will be reviewed for Initial Accreditation in Spring 2023. The SOP offers the MLA First Professional Degree as well as two track options within the MSLA Post Professional degree. The MSLA degree options include a required cooperative education experience.
The motto of our Landscape Architecture program is “I Want to Make a Difference.” Our program has a strong commitment to working with diverse populations, to teaching that uses contemporary approaches to investigation, visualization, representation, and community engagement, and to inspiring students. Our faculty works effectively and collegially in an interdisciplinary setting within the College of DAAP.
The School of Planning is committed to a diverse workforce and to maintaining a learning and working environment that is welcoming to all, including those who are underrepresented in Landscape Architecture.
Primary responsibilities are teaching, maintaining an active research agenda/creative practice, and service.
- SOP faculty are expected to teach two courses per semester in a combination of studio, lecture or workshop settings. Appointee will teach related courses at the graduate level in their area of expertise. Related courses may include but are not limited to sustainable site design studios and seminars, capstone studio, visualization and graphic communication, and site analysis workshops.
- Candidate will be expected to integrate their research interests and/or creative work into their teaching.
- Faculty responsibilities include research, which may result in published material, built work, exhibitions, and/or participation in conferences in the candidate’s area of expertise.
- Service to the department, the college, and the university on academic committees such as curriculum or thesis, and service to the greater community as board members or through participation in advisory groups.
Prior to effective date of the appointment:
- A Master’s Degree in Landscape Architecture (MLA) or related field.
Applicants should refer to the SOP web site (https://daap.uc.edu/academic- programs/school-of-planning.html) to learn more about the SOP, DAAP, and UC.
- Current Curricula Vitae.
- Cover Letter.
- Statement of Research – statement of future and/or current (if applicable) research plans and how research identifies with landscape architecture.
- Teaching Portfolio including the following:
- 1) Statement of Teaching – Teaching Philosophy: including how candidate’s approach to teaching crosses disciplines and programs in the context of design and/or planning education;
- 2) Student Work: evidence of candidate’s teaching experience and student outcomes including but not limited to syllabi and student work examples (if applicable).
- Names and Contact Information of Three References.
- A PDF of at least one published peer-reviewed journal article, or creative work, or built work (if applicable).
- Please use the additional documents feature as needed for any attachments.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate’s experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
For more information and to apply, please click the link.